Monday, December 27, 2004

Not Win32 compatible

I am a relative newcomer to blogging, and as such, have been clicking the 'Next Blog' button frequently in order to find interesting blogs and like-minded (or even just -minded) people.
I have a few observations:

  • There are a staggering number of people who posted to their blogs on Boxing Day.
  • There are a lot of what I will call 'spamblogs' - that is, blogs containing nothing but advertising content.
  • There are a lot of christians with blogs, mainly in the U.S.
  • Many bloggers also write poetry.
  • Many blogs are in txtspk. I skip these - Is the english language not varied enough for these people or are they just lazy?
  • There are a lot of depressed bloggers out there.
  • I sometimes get a popup containing the text "Sorry, your browser is not Win32 compatible".

This last point amuses me somewhat. No, my browser isn't Win32 compatible. I am not Win32 compatible. I am a linux convert. Mr Gates has taken up too much of my time already. But perhaps this tangent will be explored further in a future post. It's the second-to-last post that is a bit disturbing. It would seem that many are unhappy with their lot in life, and lack the motivation to do anything about it. My challenge to them is to read my previous post and think about it. You are your own ultimate judge. You are in charge of your life. The person who makes the executive decisions. I also urge you to read the book The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton. This is witty, accessible and, most significantly, actually helpful.
For a while now, my take on life has been: "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade".
(An aside, I love lemonade, especially the home-made kind. Nothing, excepting a crisp, cool glass of beer, is as refreshing on a hot summer's day.)
Perhaps these poor people feel that they are not Life42 compatible. But just like there are alternatives to using Microsoft Windows, there are alternatives to being miserable.
Why the hell wouldn't you want to change your life for the better? Go do it!
Read my last post, and go and do it.

Best Regards,

J.L.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hello J.L.!
I just read through your blog... Yours is the first comment since I began this whole "blog" thing. Like you, I'm new to it all.
I agree that the concept of absolute good and evil is a matter of perception at best. My take on things spiritual is a more humanistic approach, at least as far as I've studied... Theology is my hobby, as I'm something of a recovering Catholic. It's part of a 12 step program. The blog you commented on is the opening statement to a graphic novel that I am attempting to write...
Have you ever read any works by Kurt Vonnegut? Based on your list of readings and your commentary, I think you might enjoy him. Also, have you read Chuck Palahniuk? I had never heard of him until I saw Fight Club and then got the book, I liked it so much... Now I'm hooked and am systematically reading everything by him. Perhaps we could exchange emails and discuss life the universe and everything?
Nice to meet you and thanks for the comment.

Yours,
-David
artprimadonna@yahoo.com

7:02 am  
Blogger Travelcedric said...

Hey! Thanks for commentiing on my blog.

You make a good point with all the depressed people out there. I often wonder if they blog just to bring other people down with them.

I am a happy person, and I do my best to keep people around me feeling good. And really, it's not hard to be happy. There is ALWAYS a positive side to everything. Always. You may not see it right now, but it is there, waiting for you to find it.

Good post.

6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home