Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Reading habit

I have a serious reading habit. An addiction. At any one time, I'm probably reading three of four books. While drinking coffee.
Currently, I'm reading "The Radioactive Boyscout" by Ken Silverstein. This is the incredible true story of a young chemistry whiz from a seriously disfunctional family who attempts to build a nuclear reactor in his back garden shed. It's quite frightening to discover just how far along the path he gets. It's also sad that no-one - not even his science teachers at school - noticed his obvious talent. Also, "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and "The End Of Oil" by Paul Roberts.

I downloaded "The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám" from Project Gutenberg, but haven't started yet. I may turn it into HTML to make it more readable.
I also bought a thrift edition of "Selected Essays" by Michel de Montaigne - who was the first person to write in the essay format.

3 Comments:

Blogger Quantum said...

Hi J;

Please visit my site if you have time.

http://www.ngkhai.net/cebu/2005/08/10/wow-cebu

http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics/thumbnails.php?album=64

7:54 pm  
Blogger Chocolate Monkey said...

I loved reading Crime and Punishment. How are you enjoying it?

I am pretty annoyed that at the moment I don't have enough time to read. Very jealous.

12:18 am  
Blogger J.L. said...

Great. Have finished now, enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not usually one for fiction, but this is a classic, and worth the effort. Forwarded it on to my brother to read. It got lost in the mail. I hate NZ post.

Have started on the Rubaiyat, after formatting it in HTML. It's so much nicer to read a book though, rather than an HTML version. Do you think I should post a verse a day or something like that? And share the goodness?

6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home